Cheese Toast is very simple to prepare, and if you let your imagination go, and you get creative, you can produce some delicious snacks and appetizers, based on this simple dish.
For a quick and easy snack …
- toast one or two slices of any kind of bread
- slice enough Cheddar to cover the toast
- and toast under the grill till the cheese is melted and slightly browned.
Some simple options are …
- Use other cheeses, either by themselves or in combination with cheddar
- Spread some ketchup, chutney, pesto, salsa or pepper jelly on the toast before adding the cheese
- Add a slice or two of tomato
- If you are not a vegetarian add some cooked and chopped bacon as well
To serve as appetizers or hors d’oeuvres do one slice per person and cut each slice into three fingers.
Now To Get Even More Creative
Whether you are vegetarian or not, in addition to the above, there are so many more ways to get creative with this basic recipe …
- Toast any kind of roll sliced in half, or muffin, or crumpet instead of bread
- Spread a layer of chutney, sweet pickles, pesto, salsa or paepper jelly on the toasted roll
- Add a layer of asparagus, mushroom, sliced tomatoes, or sliced onions (cooked or raw)
- If you are not a vegetarian add a layer of fried bacon, ham, chicken, left over cooked mince or other meats, shrimps, smoked salmon, tuna, anchovies
- Cover with grated or sliced cheese(s) of your choice
- Grill till cheese is melted and browned on top
Two versions of this, a “Ham and Asparagus Melt” and a “Tuna and Asparagus Melt”, were extremely popular with golfers wanting a snack in my restaurant days.
Often they would make a meal of it by adding a salad, or a bowl of fries, or some deep fried onion rings.Please add YOUR comments below, and if you like this page please give it a boost by liking it or sharing it on Facebook, or sending it to a friend by email.